[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Jun 26 19:27:25 UTC 2012

On 06/26/2012 12:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> Would a basic, "here's how I work" type writeup or screencast help
> people out with seeing how we do things to help other maintainers out?
> I don't think it's worth a whole session at KS to go over this, but
> perhaps it is if people feel it would be worth it.  I know I've gotten
> tips on how to use git from just about everyone I've seen use it over
> the years, so perhaps a short 5 minute session from a few of us would be
> benificial?

I think that kind of thing would be extremely useful. I suspect
different maintainers use different workflows; topic branches vs. not,
sub-sub-systems vs. regular sub-systems. managing patches for the
currently-being-merged kernel v.s. for-next, etc.

I'd hazard a guess it'd even be pretty useful outside of the kernel
summit, so contributors get some kind of idea how to send patches with
complex cross-subsystem dependencies (which happens a lot in the ARM
world at least when bringing up new features, or refactoring stuff)