[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] ARM virtualization

Stefano Stabellini stefano.stabellini at eu.citrix.com
Tue Jun 26 13:37:58 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I would like to propose "ARM virtualization" as a topic for discussion
at the next Kernel Summit:

- Xen on ARM guests
having the opportunity of starting from scratch, we would like to
get rid of the distinction between PV guests and HVM guests that is
present on Xen x86, keeping the best of both world.

- device tree support and a common boot sequence
even though the "hardware" available in a Xen ARM guest is very
different from a real platform, Xen is going to use a device tree to
describe it, so that we can have the same boot sequence in a Xen ARM
guest, in Dom0 and on native.
Is the Linux device tree support flexible enough to allow it?

- calling convention
I would like to discuss the introduction of a common hypercall calling
convention across multiple hypervisors on ARM.

- event channel notifications
In the x86 world we use three different mechanisms: a direct upcall from
the hypervisor in PV guests; a PCI interrupt for basic HVM guests; a
direct vector injection in more advanced PV on HVM guests.  What is the
most efficient and less disruptive way of introducing event notifications
on ARM? Do we need to allocate an SGI (or a PPI) for Xen usage?

- collaboration with KVM
Aside from the hypercall calling convention, we might be able to share
other pieces of the infrastructure. I would like to make sure that we
think about them before writing any code.

I would also like to attend the "Wither the baseline" discussion around
Hooks and Notifiers, submitted by HPA, and "zero copy networking"
submitted by Michael S. Tsirkin, as I have stated in my other emails.

Having contributed to PV on HVM and Xen initial domain support my
expertize with Linux is mostly related to virtualization, Xen, the x86
subsystem, the pvops infrastructure and paravirtualized drivers.
I am also getting familiar with the arm subsystem as part of the Linux
on Xen on ARM project.

Cheers,

Stefano