[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Jun 26 09:58:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 06:44:56PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

> I authored the article "Avoiding the OS abstraction trap" [1], which
> raised some points about the platform problem [2].  I think the
> platform problem also contributes to these occasions of unbounded
> latency getting patches upstream.  It is simply much easier to merge
> self-contained code and this becomes another unfortunate incentive to
> avoid touching the "platform".

I know one of the most common reasons I push back on things is that
people either aren't using existing subsystem features or should be
adding new ones.

I think this depends a lot on how much of the work is factored out into
the subsystem.  Once you've got a lot of code factored out into the
subsystem I find the balance goes very much the other way and it becomes
much easier to have code in the subsystem than in the drivers - it
reduces minefields for refactoring so much if you don't have to worry
about special cases and well written drivers start to look much more
dumb.