[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] DMA-mapping subsystem discussion

Marek Szyprowski m.szyprowski at samsung.com
Tue Jun 26 07:44:45 UTC 2012

For over 3 years I'm developing device drivers and parts of the platform
core support for Samsung SoCs series. I'm co-author of VideoBuf2 framework
[1] (merged in v2.6.39) and Contiguous Memory Allocator [2-4] (merged in
v3.5-rc1). For last year I'm also working on extending DMA-mapping subsystem
(mainly on ARM architecture) with better support for nowadays hardware. I've
developed integration layer for IOMMU for DMA-mapping subsystem on ARM
architecture and proposed some extensions for improving zero-copy data
processing between devices [5].

I would like to propose a discussion on the current state of the
DMA-mapping subsystem, its limitations and possible as well as the existing
extensions. I'm also interested in discussing a major redesign approach
for solving some of the issues identified in the current implementation.

[1] 'The videobuf2 API': http://lwn.net/Articles/447435/
[2] 'A reworked contiguous memory allocator': http://lwn.net/Articles/447405/
[3] 'CMA and ARM': http://lwn.net/Articles/450286/
[4] 'A deep dive into CMA': http://lwn.net/Articles/486301/