[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Jun 26 04:20:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:44:47 -0700 "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 06/25/2012 06:44 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Can we do a better job of bounding the maximum latency for acceptance
> > or rejection of a patch?  Are there barriers for maintainers asking
> > for or accepting help, even on a temporary basis?
>
> There shouldn't be.  In fact, anyone can help a maintainer by reviewing
> patches and giving them a Reviewed-by: if good and feedback if bad.

Maybe the issues are more subtle.
Is asking for help a sign of weakness?  Is that a problem?
Does asking for help impose on others?  Does that make us reticent to do it?
Do we properly show appreciation when help is provided (BTW, thanks Dan for
recent review of some RAID5 patches while I was on leave - I really
appreciate it).

Do we have good role-models of maintainership?  Linus, Andrew Morton, Greg KH
all do fantastic jobs, but appear a bit like one-man-bands.  Are there good
examples of load-sharing that we can look to and emulate?

I'd be more than happy to have a co-maintainer (or 2) for md/raid, but the
various people who have shown an interested and even an aptitude never
stayed for long.  Did I scare them away by being too competent and not
sharing enough?

NeilBrown