[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Your upstream maintainer just isn't that into you...

Dan Williams dan.j.williams at intel.com
Tue Jun 26 01:44:56 UTC 2012

Can we do a better job of bounding the maximum latency for acceptance
or rejection of a patch?  Are there barriers for maintainers asking
for or accepting help, even on a temporary basis?

I have been on the producer as well as consumer side of this problem.
My maintenance of the dmaengine subsystem fell off as I started to do
more scsi work, and I asked for help maybe later than I should.
Thankfully Vinod stepped up to help.  Are there metrics that would
have helped me objectively make that assessment earlier?

I authored the article "Avoiding the OS abstraction trap" [1], which
raised some points about the platform problem [2].  I think the
platform problem also contributes to these occasions of unbounded
latency getting patches upstream.  It is simply much easier to merge
self-contained code and this becomes another unfortunate incentive to
avoid touching the "platform".

--
Dan

[1]: https://lwn.net/Articles/454716/