[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

John 'Warthog9' Hawley warthog9 at kernel.org
Mon Jun 25 17:18:44 UTC 2012

On 06/25/2012 11:16 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:12:48AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> I think it makes much more sense to have the decoder server-side.
>>
>> There are two reasons for it:
>>
>> 1. *one* code base!
>>
>> I can tell you just how bad a lot of the QR decoder software running on
>> smartphones are -- because I have tried them.
>>
>> 2. if the decode doesn't work, you have the picture server side, and you
>> can perhaps improve the software and collect it as "a hard to decode
>> picture" and use it as a regression test.
>
> And the main reason not to is that a picture gives us a single data
> point, while most QR apps will take continuous readings until they're
> able to decode. The user also knows that the decode was successful
> *without* having to work out how to get a multi-MB picture off their
> phone and into the interwebs.

This can always be solved by shipping the image off for server side
processing and then giving a confirmation code, not unlike how taking a
picture of a written check is processed by a bank.

Mind you this means having a client side app, but that should be a
pretty trivial app.  (1) open app (2) take photo (3) upload photo (4)
get response code.

- John