[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Jun 25 17:16:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:12:48AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I think it makes much more sense to have the decoder server-side.
>
> There are two reasons for it:
>
> 1. *one* code base!
>
> I can tell you just how bad a lot of the QR decoder software running on
> smartphones are -- because I have tried them.
>
> 2. if the decode doesn't work, you have the picture server side, and you
> can perhaps improve the software and collect it as "a hard to decode
> picture" and use it as a regression test.

And the main reason not to is that a picture gives us a single data
point, while most QR apps will take continuous readings until they're
able to decode. The user also knows that the decode was successful
*without* having to work out how to get a multi-MB picture off their
phone and into the interwebs.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org