[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] DeviceTree and boot, ARM consolidation

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 21:57:27 UTC 2012

I'd like to attend Kernel Summit.

I'm co-maintainer of DeviceTree with Grant Likely which these days is
mainly reviewing the flood of (mostly) ARM platforms and drivers in the
process of converting to DT. I'm also maintainer of Calxeda highbank ARM
server SOC. I'm interested in the following topics:

- ARM sub-arch maintainers mini-summit (proposed by Arnd) and
consolidation topics - We're getting close to having single kernel image
across ARM platforms, but more work remains. I have done a lot of the
work in removing per machine headers which was one of the primary obstacles.
- Boot architecture and FDT/ACPI/UEFI as proposed by Grant. ARM servers
are in their infancy. We have the chance to start fresh or just copy
what's already there. As an example, I see requests for supporting
dmidecode on ARM. Is that the right path to go down or how do we avoid it?
- PCI breakout session. One of the next major pieces for ARM
consolidation and DeviceTree support is PCI support. More ARM platforms
are appearing with PCIe. I think there's opportunity for consolidation
with PowerPC DT PCI code.

Cheers,
Rob