[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] State of Kernel.org - Kernel Summit

John 'Warthog9' Hawley warthog9 at kernel.org
Fri Jun 22 19:45:30 UTC 2012

On 06/22/2012 12:59 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 12:40 AM, James Bottomley wrote:

>>> You can always provide a quick overview of where we are on the
>>> kernel.org mailing list or LKML.  You can also get feedback on
>>> those mailing lists.  And you can potentially get feedback from
>>> more than the 80-100 people who are attending the kernel summit.
>>
>> Actually, could you *please* do this.  What's our current state?  Have
>> we finally restored everything people care about? I know for me, the
>> email->bugzilla gateway was the last piece we needed to handle bugs on
>> the SCSI list, but there might be more esoteric services people care
>> about that I'm not watching.
>

> Apparently that info is not currently available.  :(

Sorry, for whatever reason I missed both of those e-mails entirely.

So the reason to do this at KS is several fold:

1) There's likely going to be stuff that I need to deal with in person
there anyway.

2) I'm much more willing to go into specific details on things in a
closed group vs. something that is as blatantly public as LKML.

3) It seems half the time when things get posted to users@ or LKML in
general they don't get seen anyway, likely because those posts are
seldom enough and people miss them in the flood of their other e-mails.

Speaking to a quick update, we are still bringing things up, plain and
simple, and as we've been getting things back up, we've been sending out
e-mails.  Konstantin recently got Bugzilla moved over to the DynWeb
setup, which in turn got the e-mail gateway working again.  That e-mail
went out on the 14th.  I'm currently in the middle of bringing patchwork
back up, and in doing some working on even more of the behind the scenes
backend stuff.  Konstantin has been continuing to track down and lock
down the machines via selinux.

We are still down most of our frontends, there's a number of reasons on
going with that, not the least of which is we are still waiting on
quotes for hardware.  From the backend perspective we are complete from
a hardware perspective, but there's a fair amount of shuffle and
bring-up that needs to be done there.

That's a quick 10 minute summary of what's going on, is there something
more specific you are looking for or curious about?

- John