[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Proposed discussion: Cleaning up the header file mess

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Jun 22 12:42:30 UTC 2012

On Thursday 21 June 2012, David Howells wrote:
> >  > (8) Provide a make target that tests all the KAPI and UAPI headers by
> >  >      simply passing them one at a time to the compiler and attempting to
> >  >      compile them.
> >
> > I think someone did this before (Arnd maybe?) ISTR there being a lot of
> > damage.

Yes, I did that ages ago, but I would not bother trying to find those
scripts again. Better start over if we want to do this again.

> Doesn't surprise me.
>
> I've also been working on a pair of scripts, one that works out what header
> files should be used to supply what definitions and build a database, and one
> that recalculates the #includes needed by each file.
>
> There is a lot of excess #includeage from cut'n'paste file creation.

ctags can probably help there, it's pretty good at finding the declarations
of most functions and macros, though it does not cope with macros that
are used to define inline functions such as
arch/powerpc/include/asm/io-defs.h

	Arnd