[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Smatch for static analysis testing

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk konrad at darnok.org
Fri Jun 22 11:45:49 UTC 2012

http://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-2012-discuss/2012-June/000166.html

> Smatch actually found the bug mentioned in the email.
>
> I go through Smatch warnings for every linux-next release.  Starting
> from the last kernel summit I would have emailed the submitter and
> the OCFS list.  Even back in May 2011 I probably would have fixed
> the bug except that my laptop had just been stolen a few weeks prior
> and I was unemployed.  These days I'm rolling in cash and laptops so
> I'm confident I would have reported it.

Would it make sense to give talk/session  about the ways one can screw up
the code unintentionally- so that folks who review patches remember to
check for that? This way we can be better about not submitting code that
has those issues and I hope become better engineers.