[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Proposed discussion: Kernelising D-BUS

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at vyatta.com
Thu Jun 21 21:09:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:16:20 +0100
David Howells <dhowells at redhat.com> wrote:

> I propose that D-BUS should be done by the kernel rather than by a userspace
> daemon.  The problem is that how does the userspace daemon handle security?
> How does it guarantee to a packet recipient who the author of a message was?
>
> Further, if service management gets kernelised and D-BUS is selected for
> message passing, how does the kernel interact with it?
>
> Now, it's entirely possible that the security requirements are at least
> partially solved.  Possibly by putting labels on endpoints or using wibbly bits
> of AF_UNIX black magic.
>
> David

This was proposed several times, and my reaction is "show me the code".
It is entirely possible that it could be a nice clean interprocess
communication mechanism. Or it could be a hairball copy-paste of the existing
stuff from Gnome. Until some one does it and submits it, any comments
from other developers are purely speculation.