[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers [bisection/rebase/-next]

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jun 21 23:50:15 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 07:32 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:

>> I could have sworn you stated that tip gets a build failure, you add
>> another patch etc... At the point in time it is in tip, isn't it
>> already in stone and you have recorded a point that is not actually
>> bisectable for some number of patches?
>
> I meant, tests are run for 24 hours locally in Ingo's test suite before
> he pushes it to the public repo. He does not push out as soon as he does
> a pull.

That's sort-of-true for the pulled branches, but we pull extremely few
branches... most -tip work goes into topic branches from email.  That
being said, we have been willing to pop top commits off if they are too
problematic, but again, Linus has been pretty adamant that he doesn't
want us to do rebases or significantly manipulate the history.

	-hpa