[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Proposed discussion: Cleaning up the header file mess

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jun 21 19:53:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 15:49 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

>  >  (1) Split the Userspace API (UAPI) out of the kernel headers into its own
>  >      header directories.
>
> I'd really like to see this happen. I think it would fix a lot of problems
> we've had historically with "oh, userspace shouldn't have been using that".
> I wouldn't be surprised if there are still cases of that that will fall out of
> such a reworking.

I suspect we caught most of those when I first introduced the 'make
headers_install' stuff. Headers which shouldn't have been exported, and
stuff that was inside __KERNEL__, just doesn't appear at all any more.

There's some potential to censor stuff a bit more, I suppose, as we kill
off instances of #ifdef __KERNEL__ by separating user bits into separate
files (ideally included with #include_next). But mostly I expect we'd
start by moving stuff as-is.

--
dwmw2