[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers [bisection/rebase/-next]

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Thu Jun 21 19:43:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 02:58:45PM -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> On 12-06-20 06:17 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> > trees.  The build problems that irritate me are the ones that exist
> > entirely within a single tree - and I get way more of those than I should.

> I think another contributing factor is that linux-next is
> most likely the 1st time many commits are being exposed
> to multi arch builds.  Things like <linux/foo.h> is implicitly
> present in bar.c for x86 but not ARM, or a Kconfig entry for
> an arch specific driver is missing an explicit arch depend
> statement type bugs.  But with the prebuilt toolchains on
> kernel.org, the reality is anyone can cross compile anything
> with minimal effort.

It still takes machine resources to do the builds - for me a large
proportion of the time I only have my laptop reasonably available with
an encrypted rotating media disk which I'm using for my actual
development too.  Things like an x86 allmodconfig build take about an
hour so I basically never run them when I'm travelling, I do generally
run realistic configurations over things but at the end of the day if
I'm short on time and there are people who are doing all this build
testing anyway it seems like a better tradeoff to make use of that than
to wait.