[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Proposed discussion: Kernelising D-BUS

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jun 21 19:38:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 15:23 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 20:16 +0100, David Howells wrote:
> > I propose that D-BUS should be done by the kernel rather than by a userspace
> > daemon.
>
> Wow, you really want an invite, don't you? ;-)

Heh.

There's a *certain* amount of sense in having the basic DBus transport
and security handled in the kernel.

I've certainly seen people *avoiding* DBus and re-inventing the wheel
for themselves because of the overhead of having to bounce everything
through the dbus-daemon in order to handle routing/security/etc.

Perhaps we wouldn't eliminate dbus-daemon entirely, but at least if
messages could get from one dbus client to another *without* bouncing
from user -> kernel -> user (dbus-daemon) -> kernel -> user, that would
be good.

Think of it like kernel-side NFS, perhaps. The fast path in the kernel,
and the rest can live outside.

Didn't Marcel have an implementation of this at one point?

--
dwmw2