[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Thu Jun 21 17:54:39 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 01:55 PM, Jason Wessel wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 03:38 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> Not that ktest.pl needs more plugs, but it might be something we could
> use for this.  For any of the pieces that I submit to the kernel they
> are all run time boot tested with kvm or qemu with pre-canned very
> small rootfs's that were built 3 years ago.  I have a set of
> defconfigs and test scripts which return a 1 or a 0 if things work or
> not.
>
> It is particularly useful to have the ability for runtime tests that
> produce a 1 or 0 in that you can feed it to "git bisect run" after
> setting the initial good and bad (ktest.pl does something similar but
> requires a some setup).  Ultimately I was thinking more along the
> lines of a make target where you can do "make runtime-tests
> TARGET=qemu" where you have all the plumbing you need to run some tests.
>
> In terms of providing a root file system it could be done in a similar
> manner to the "firmware git" so we don't have to bloat the kernel
> tree.
>
> I think we all probably have some automation pieces that do the same
> thing and I am not saying mine is any better than the next guys, but
> if there is some interest in unification I am certainly willing to
> participate.

I'd be interested in discussing test automation pieces in San Diego
also.  I have my own tools as well (doesn't everyone?), and I
have the same attitude as Jason.  I had thought about submitting
some for /tools/testing, but I don't want to clutter
that up with similar or duplicate tools.  If there is interest in
unification, I'd be very happy to participate.
 -- Tim