[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers [bisection/rebase/-next]

Luck, Tony tony.luck at intel.com
Thu Jun 21 16:14:00 UTC 2012

> The other thing Linus always says on this issue is that it discards data
> about where the changes were actually tested.  Mostly that shouldn't
> matter but sometimes it might.

In the case where the changes had a bug, does it really matter where
those changes were tested? What will go upstream is something different
(changeset + a bugfix tacked on the top). So I can't see how knowing that
the buggy version was tested for N weeks at a particular starting SHA1
helps at all.

If the rebase just fixed a spelling error in a comment, or in the commit
message ... and you rebase the patchset on top of some different point
in the git history ... then I see how history of testing is lost.

I do concede Stephen Rothwell's point that rebasing causes problems for
other trees that pulled from a tree.

-Tony