[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers [bisection/rebase/-next]

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Jun 21 15:51:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 23:26 +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:04:26AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 21:38 +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> >
> > > This is the 0-day kernel testing backend I recently started can help.
> > >
> > > It runs kernel build/boot tests on each developer's tree and tries to
> > > find and report possible defects within 24 hours. The timely report
> > > can effectively constraint the scope of impact to the related people,
> > > rather than hurting the larger crowd of people in the integration tree.
> >
> > Perhaps you would be the perfect candidate to house a linux-devel.git
> > repo. Have it set up like so:
>
> Actually Stephen jumps to my mind at the very start. He has all the
> experiences, tools and infrastructure to maintain such a tree.

I didn't want to burden him more ;-)

> The most important problem may be, how many developers we can attract
> to send pull requests to linux-devel. It would be a good quiz in the KS :-)

Agreed. Of course this is the chicken/egg problem. How do you know how
many developers that it would attract without first doing it.

So far I know of 1 (me ;-)  And I think even GregKH said he liked the
idea.

> FYI, I've added about 170 git trees as my test targets, which contain
> about 550 active branches. I enjoy a lot looking at the freshly cooked
> commits being compiled and ran to the degree to keep the servers busy
> all day :-)

What about trees like my own, where 'master' is very stale, and all the
goodies happen in the other branches. And last I looked, in my public
repo, I have 124 branches!

> > If you do not have the time to set up such a repo, I'm willing to do it.
> > I just do not have the hardware to do the testing that should be done,
> > but as it would be public, others could test it, and report back to me.
>
> Yeah either way is possible and I can sure carry out tests on it. But
> IMHO Stephen could be the perfect candidate to maintain the tree :)

If he wants to then sure. Otherwise it may become my hobby :-)

-- Steve