[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

Jason Wessel jason.wessel at windriver.com
Thu Jun 21 14:49:36 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 09:43 AM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:35:32 -0400
> "John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
>
>> I would vote against cluttering bugzilla.kernel.org with nearly
>> useless automated bug reports...
>
> <metoo>

Amen.

> Running Rawhide gives one plenty of opportunity to report bugs; in the
> process, I often find the Fedora bugzilla choked with ABRT reports.  I
> can't imagine that flood of stuff is useful to anybody, and it makes
> life hard for people who want to try to avoid putting in duplicate
> reports.  ABRT quality is low, and I can easily see it driving away
> higher-quality reports from people who are actually willing to follow
> up.

It would have been much nicer to have something like a new incarnation
of kerneloops.org where you could by kernel version browse all sorts
of oops and look for similarities as well as simply search for oops in
things in particular subsystems.

Ideally I would like the oops decoded for lines and locations of
course and have it all done with the reporting tool.  Sticking a data
pool into a bugzilla directly only serves to bog down bugzilla and
make searches generally less useful.

Cheers,
Jason.