[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Thu Jun 21 14:43:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:35:32 -0400
"John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

> YMMV -- my experience with ABRT is that it provides little useful
> information by itself and that the reported bugs rarely have reporters
> interested in following-up with more information.  Plus, it does a
> terrible job correlating new bug reports with existing bug reports.
>
> I would vote against cluttering bugzilla.kernel.org with nearly
> useless automated bug reports...

<metoo>

Running Rawhide gives one plenty of opportunity to report bugs; in the
process, I often find the Fedora bugzilla choked with ABRT reports.  I
can't imagine that flood of stuff is useful to anybody, and it makes
life hard for people who want to try to avoid putting in duplicate
reports.  ABRT quality is low, and I can easily see it driving away
higher-quality reports from people who are actually willing to follow
up.

jon