[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers [bisection/rebase/-next]

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Jun 21 14:04:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 21:38 +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:

> This is the 0-day kernel testing backend I recently started can help.
>
> It runs kernel build/boot tests on each developer's tree and tries to
> find and report possible defects within 24 hours. The timely report
> can effectively constraint the scope of impact to the related people,
> rather than hurting the larger crowd of people in the integration tree.

Perhaps you would be the perfect candidate to house a linux-devel.git
repo. Have it set up like so:

master                  - holds an integration of set branches *

include-developer-topic - holds a branch that a developer has asked you
                          to pull from. This is is also integrated into
                          the master branch as the developer may request

exclude-developer-topic - holds a branch that a developer has asked you
                          to pull from. The difference between the above
                          is that this branch is not to be integrated
                          into master. It may cause unneeded conflicts
                          that need to be settled still (even the -rt
                          tree can go here).

Basically have a series of branches like:

include-jejb-scsi
include-rostedt-ftrace-multi-buf
include-jiri-sched-deadline
exclude-rostedt-preempt-rt
[..]

* master would be an integration of all include-* branches. If one of
those branches are found to be broken, then you can rebase master to
exclude it, send an email to the owner of that branch and tell them it
will not be included until they fix it.

Any branch that starts suffering bit rot, you can send an email to that
developer to ask them if its still valid. If not, just nuke the branch.
If it is, encourage them to do more work on it or explain why it's
suffering from rot, otherwise just nuke it anyway.

This is much easier to do with git than quilt, which is why I do not
believe this will be like -mm, and mostly ignored (except for a small
few)

This can also be a central location to see what's being developed. I
would even publish where the branches are being pulled from, so if
people want to know more about the development they can find it.

I really have no clue about all the great things going on in development
of parts of linux, and I'm sure there's things going on that I do not
know about that I would like to look in to. This can be a way to show
what's being done.

If you do not have the time to set up such a repo, I'm willing to do it.
I just do not have the hardware to do the testing that should be done,
but as it would be public, others could test it, and report back to me.

-- Steve