[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Jun 21 13:35:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:03:46PM +0530, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:

> Fedora has a bug reporting tool called ABRT, which automatically files
> bug reports with bugzilla.redhat.com (after getting the required permissions
> from the user). It monitors the kernel ring buffer and such, and whenever
> it finds a warning or stacktrace, it notifies the user and automatically
> files bug reports after gathering all the relevant data. ( Of course, the
> machine should still be up and running for that to work :-)). Usually it
> works pretty well for warnings/lockdep splats and such which don't entirely
> bring the machine down. It would be interesting to see how this can be
> taken forward to file bug reports on the subsequent boot (when the kernel
> crashed entirely on the previous boot), by saving the crash data using
> techniques that you mentioned above.

YMMV -- my experience with ABRT is that it provides little useful
information by itself and that the reported bugs rarely have reporters
interested in following-up with more information.  Plus, it does a
terrible job correlating new bug reports with existing bug reports.

I would vote against cluttering bugzilla.kernel.org with nearly
useless automated bug reports...

John