[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers [bisection/rebase/-next]

Fengguang Wu fengguang.wu at intel.com
Thu Jun 21 13:38:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:29:38PM +0400, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 04:12 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> >On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 11:43 +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> >
> >>Strictly speaking, 32 randconfigs may only cover a small fraction of
> >>the full 32 combination space. That could be something improvable.
> >>

> >But if you have a large number of people testing randconfigs and
> >different hardware, that would be much better wont it? A SETI project
> >for kernel builds ;-)
> >

> We already have that, in a sense. As I pointed out in another
> e-mail, the problem is not finding out the breakages, they usually
> appear within a week of linux-next exposure at the most.
>
> The problem is that once we find it, it is too late.

This is the 0-day kernel testing backend I recently started can help.

It runs kernel build/boot tests on each developer's tree and tries to
find and report possible defects within 24 hours. The timely report
can effectively constraint the scope of impact to the related people,
rather than hurting the larger crowd of people in the integration tree.

Thanks,
Fengguang