[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Bundling with the kernel

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jun 21 03:49:19 UTC 2012

I think this might integrate well into some of the other topics that
have been discussed, but it might be interesting in discussing bundling
tools which are very closely coupled with the kernel as part of the
kernel tree. We have already done that to some degree, and it has been
very successful.

I recently had a discussion with the glibc maintainers about the
problems caused by syscall(3) [syscall(3) breaks the ABI and simply
doesn't work reliably for many architectures].  They do not feel that it
makes sense for them to have support for system calls that they classify
as "Linux arcana" -- no glibc interaction and used only by a small
handful of programs, and that their release cycle doesn't dovetail well
with the kernel anyway.

A "libinux" coming out of the kernel tree would make that kind of
enabling much quicker; I have already started working on the mechanism
based on the machinery I originally built for klibc.

	-hpa