[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 20 21:20:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:13:32PM +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > Git already has this, if you have a copy of the stable-queue tree:
> >	git quiltimport --patches pointer/to/where/the/patches/are
>
> Do you put your quilt series in some handy network place where
> someone can pick up a tarball?  If so, then the user can do:
>
> 	$ git checkout -b branch-to-look-at-stable-series base-sha1-for-series
> 	$ curl_or_wget ... get the tarball from greg's public area
> 	$ unpack-tarball
> 	$ git quiltimport --patches place/where/tarball/was/unpacked

export KERNEL_VERSION="3.4"
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git
cd $KERNEL_TREE
git checkout -b linux-${KERNEL_VERSION}.y
git quiltimport --patches ../stable-queue/queue-${KERNEL_VERSION}/

There, that should be easy to script for those that want it :)

> > But I can't keep a git tree all the time for the previously mentioned
> > reasons (i.e. rebasing.)
>
> Yup - you shouldn't have to change anything (except possibly making the
> quilt series easily accessible).  Users who want to play inside a git
> sandbox should be able to make their own throwaway branches and easily
> import your stuff.

The above should work, as it's pretty much what I do when I do a
release.

thanks,

greg k-h