[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 20 20:49:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:41:32PM +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > Please write the scripts to do so then, right now, the work it takes me
> > to do the stable releases is not much at all, as I've scripted it pretty
> > well.  For me to change how that works would require a bunch of rework
> > of both my scripts, and my workflow, for almost no-gain that I can see.
> > Actually, it looks like more work, as I'm sure I will get those topic
> > branches confused.
>
> I think this thread started because some people would find it easier
> to do a "git pull some-stuff" to grab all the bits of a series to test,
> and to see what the final result looks like.
>
> Perhaps they should petition the git maintainers to support a
> "git quiltpull some-stuff" so they can get what they want without
> making other people change their workflow?
>
> -Tony
>
> 90% likely that among the myriad options that git has, it can either
> already do this, or five lines of shell script wrapped around some
> "curl" and "git am" would do it.

Git already has this, if you have a copy of the stable-queue tree:
	git quiltimport --patches pointer/to/where/the/patches/are

But I can't keep a git tree all the time for the previously mentioned
reasons (i.e. rebasing.)

I think I am one of maybe 5 users of this git option, it's not well
documented, and sometimes fails with odd errors, but has been getting
better in newer releases.

thanks,

greg k-h