[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 19:27:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Greg KH wrote:

> > And I don't know why it must be so often rebased.  Aren't stable
> > patches rather accumulative?
>
> I often (i.e. at least once a release), need to pull a patch out of the
> middle of the series and throw it away.

Just an idea ... how about stable tree starting to use git topic branches?

There are many options how this could actually be done -- per subsystem,
per bug, per "categorization" :), etc. The final -stable release would be
just a merge of all v3.0.x-stable/topic...  branches into
v3.0.x-stable-final.

This will allow for

- just simply you deciding not to merge the topic branches with patches
  you decide to revert for the final stable release, without any need for
  rebase
- easy cherry-picking (actually proper git merging) from stable for all
  the "stable customers"

This should be trivially scriptable.

Thanks,

--