[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Complex dependencies in device model

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jun 20 17:07:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 18:02 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The issue is that FDT and ACPI are two mechanisms for providing the same
> data. If we have 64-bit ARM hardware that can be configurd with both
> then we'll end up with two sets of drivers - one using the FDT bindings,
> one using the ACPI bindings. We should consolidate those before landing
> an architecture that encourages this kind of divergence.

Don't Apple effectively put device-tree properties *into* ACPI, with a
method to retrieve them?

It would certainly be good to consolidate the ACPI and device-tree
properties into a single set of properties for drivers to bind to.

What would it take to represent ACPI devices in a 'struct device_node'
and have drivers bind to those?

--
dwmw2