[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Complex dependencies in device model

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Jun 20 17:02:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:54:56AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

> With all the recent focus on ARM cleanup and reviews, I hope we can
> catch this kind of thing, so such restrictions wouldn't be necessary.
>
> Not merging the architecture support unless the drivers are merged first
> somewhat creates a chicken/egg problem; should the drivers be merged
> without any architecture to run on? I can easily see someone else
> wanting that restriction...

The issue is that FDT and ACPI are two mechanisms for providing the same
data. If we have 64-bit ARM hardware that can be configurd with both
then we'll end up with two sets of drivers - one using the FDT bindings,
one using the ACPI bindings. We should consolidate those before landing
an architecture that encourages this kind of divergence.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org