[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 08:12 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:32:24AM +0100, James Bottomley wrote:
> > Thinking about the problem from my point of view, I think the solution
> > might be to break up the staging tree: every participating maintainer
> > would have a staging branch for ugly drivers that needed polishing and
> > these could be accumulated into the staging tree (which may or may not
> > be the upstream kernel tree depending on how we feel).  This would mean
> > that at least the subsystem which understood the driver took
> > responsibility for it.
>
> DRM and video already do this today, both in different ways.  DRM has
> the code within their subdirectory, but has the driver depend on
> CONFIG_STAGING.  Video has subdirectories in drivers/staging/ that I
> know to not touch at all.
>
> Either way works just fine for me, if other subsystem maintainers want
> to do this, they are more than welcome to (just let me know if I'm not
> supposed to touch a subdirectory that they create.)

Either way is fine by me too ... if you want to create staging/scsi and
move the SCSI drivers into it, that works for us.  What I really want is
to get linux-scsi copied on the patches and try to avoid the "we've
applied 500 patches to this driver, what do you mean it has fundamental
problems" disappointment.

James