[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 20 16:24:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:04:22PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:54:01 -0700,
> Greg KH wrote:

> > > Well, it's no expanded tree.  I'm just too lazy to do "get the latest
> > > linux-stable.git, update stable-queue.git, apply series" at each time
> > > :)
> >
> > And would someone really be willing to pull that git tree?
>
> I would, at least.
>
> > Problem is, it would be constantly rebased, which I don't want to do,
> > and it would be thrown away after each stable release as well, when I do
> > a real release, which would take a whole lot of explaining to users as
> > to how to handle it.
>
> It'd just look like linux-next, no?

Not that I can determine.

> And I don't know why it must be so often rebased.  Aren't stable
> patches rather accumulative?

I often (i.e. at least once a release), need to pull a patch out of the
middle of the series and throw it away.

> If a patch has to be removed, it can be a simple git-revert.  The
> revert is also a good information so that someone won't stumble on the
> same commit.

That's why I keep the patches in a quilt tree, not a git tree, as
accumulating the reverts and other fixes can be a pain in the long-run.
quilt works much better for this.

> Abandoning the pre-release branch after each release is no big
> problem, I think.  They could be kept by tags, if any.
>
> > But if someone is willing to create the tree from my quilt series
> > automagically, feel free to do so.
>
> I'll check it but I guess other guys manage it much much better than
> me...

I'm a bit worried here, you often tag patches for stable trees, and are
doing so much better than lots of other subsystem maintainers.  Do you
feel there are more patches you could be marking or sending to me?  If
that's true, I hate to wonder about the other subsystems that aren't
sending me any...

thanks,

greg k-h