[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 16:14:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:04:22PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Well, it's no expanded tree.  I'm just too lazy to do "get the latest
> > > linux-stable.git, update stable-queue.git, apply series" at each time
> > > :)
> >
> > And would someone really be willing to pull that git tree?
>
> I would, at least.
>
> > Problem is, it would be constantly rebased, which I don't want to do,
> > and it would be thrown away after each stable release as well, when I do
> > a real release, which would take a whole lot of explaining to users as
> > to how to handle it.
>
> It'd just look like linux-next, no?

Pretty similar, yes.

> And I don't know why it must be so often rebased.  Aren't stable
> patches rather accumulative?

The ordering of the series can change because inter-dependent patches
are added later, etc.  I don't think it happens often, but it does
happen.

> If a patch has to be removed, it can be a simple git-revert.  The
> revert is also a good information so that someone won't stumble on the
> same commit.
>
> Abandoning the pre-release branch after each release is no big
> problem, I think.  They could be kept by tags, if any.

Yeah, this tree would mostly be throw-away.

> > But if someone is willing to create the tree from my quilt series
> > automagically, feel free to do so.
>
> I'll check it but I guess other guys manage it much much better than
> me...

I might be willing to do this if a number of people would find it
useful.  I don't think it would be hard to create.  Just need to settle
on a location and how to handle rebasing, reverts, etc.

josh