[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jun 20 16:04:22 UTC 2012

At Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:54:01 -0700,
Greg KH wrote:

> > > Greg keeps the unreleased patches in a quilt series in the stable-queue
> > > git tree.  Is that not sufficient?  If not, why?
> >
> > Well, it's no expanded tree.  I'm just too lazy to do "get the latest
> > linux-stable.git, update stable-queue.git, apply series" at each time
> > :)
>
> And would someone really be willing to pull that git tree?

I would, at least.

> Problem is, it would be constantly rebased, which I don't want to do,
> and it would be thrown away after each stable release as well, when I do
> a real release, which would take a whole lot of explaining to users as
> to how to handle it.

It'd just look like linux-next, no?

And I don't know why it must be so often rebased.  Aren't stable
patches rather accumulative?
If a patch has to be removed, it can be a simple git-revert.  The
revert is also a good information so that someone won't stumble on the
same commit.

Abandoning the pre-release branch after each release is no big
problem, I think.  They could be kept by tags, if any.

> But if someone is willing to create the tree from my quilt series
> automagically, feel free to do so.

I'll check it but I guess other guys manage it much much better than
me...

thanks,

Takashi