[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 20 15:52:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:02:32AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 02:33:32PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to join this year's kernel summit.  I can bring expertise
> > from the sound subsystem maintenance and raise issues learned from the
> > Linux laptop / desktop preload experiences.
> >
> > Like many people have already commented on stable kernel process, I'm
> > also interested in it.  Especially whether it makes sense to allow
> > maintainers to send pull requests to Greg and others.
> >
> > Currently, we receive patch bombs from Greg when patches are queued or
> > in the review phase before the stable release.  But it's hard to
> > follow whether all necessary patches are merged only from these
> > individual patch mails.  I often loose some overview.
> >
> > After all, it's the subsystem maintainer who knows well about the
> > commits they did, what should be applied to which kernel and how.
> > I'm willing to do the backport or merge to the stable kernel for my
> > own commits at the same time I commit to the for-linus branch, then
> > give Greg to pull.
>
> Dave Miller does this for the net tree already, though I don't think it
> is a pull request.  I believe he queues the patches he feels are
> necessary and then sends them in one large patch.

He sends me a mbox full of patches, which works great.  Anyone else can
send me this if they like.  I also have taken git pulls from the kvm
developers in the past, although I really don't like to do that, as my
workflow doesn't fit into that the best.  But if needed, I can adapt the
workflow to handle this if other maintainers want to send me stuff this
way.

> That sounds like something any maintainer could ask Greg to work from.

Yeah, just ask me, it's not like you all don't know my email address :)

thanks,

greg k-h