[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 20 15:49:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:48:45AM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> Agreed, and I am of course not asking anybody to decide for distros; just
> trying to make the decision process easier for them.
>
> Even such a minimal categorization of bugs such as

First off, _who_ is going to do this categorization?  And how do you
know it is correct?  Usually the original submitter doesn't know this,
and often times, the maintainer doesn't either (sadly.)

> - support for new HW (so that we can drop those immediately, even
>   automatically, in certain development phases)
> - performance improvement
> - crash fix

Crashes seem like a security problem to me :)

> - security fix

Good luck trying to figure out what is a "security fix" and what isn't.
That plays into the whole problem that Linus and I are staying away
from in trying to categorize things like this.

> - platform/hw-specific fix

Why isn't this a crash or security fix?

Anyway, this is all nice, but really, is it that hard for distros to do
this already on their own?  They know their needs and where they are in
their release cycle better than anyone else, so they should be able to
determine this.

I know I'm sure not going to be categorizing each and every patch, and I
think you will not find very many other people willing to do so either,
sorry.

good luck,

greg k-h