[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 20 15:12:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:32:24AM +0100, James Bottomley wrote:
> Thinking about the problem from my point of view, I think the solution
> might be to break up the staging tree: every participating maintainer
> would have a staging branch for ugly drivers that needed polishing and
> these could be accumulated into the staging tree (which may or may not
> be the upstream kernel tree depending on how we feel).  This would mean
> that at least the subsystem which understood the driver took
> responsibility for it.

DRM and video already do this today, both in different ways.  DRM has
the code within their subdirectory, but has the driver depend on
CONFIG_STAGING.  Video has subdirectories in drivers/staging/ that I
know to not touch at all.

Either way works just fine for me, if other subsystem maintainers want
to do this, they are more than welcome to (just let me know if I'm not
supposed to touch a subdirectory that they create.)

thanks,

greg k-h