[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 13:02:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 02:33:32PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to join this year's kernel summit.  I can bring expertise
> from the sound subsystem maintenance and raise issues learned from the
> Linux laptop / desktop preload experiences.
>
> Like many people have already commented on stable kernel process, I'm
> also interested in it.  Especially whether it makes sense to allow
> maintainers to send pull requests to Greg and others.
>
> Currently, we receive patch bombs from Greg when patches are queued or
> in the review phase before the stable release.  But it's hard to
> follow whether all necessary patches are merged only from these
> individual patch mails.  I often loose some overview.
>
> After all, it's the subsystem maintainer who knows well about the
> commits they did, what should be applied to which kernel and how.
> I'm willing to do the backport or merge to the stable kernel for my
> own commits at the same time I commit to the for-linus branch, then
> give Greg to pull.

Dave Miller does this for the net tree already, though I don't think it
is a pull request.  I believe he queues the patches he feels are
necessary and then sends them in one large patch.

That sounds like something any maintainer could ask Greg to work from.

> This also helps in some cases where the patch is not trivial to
> backport.  So far, I prepare an extra patch and send to stable after
> merge to Linus tree, but I forget often due to this delay.
>
> Or, at least, if we can have the expanded to-be-released-as-stable
> git tree, it'd help the review for me...

Greg keeps the unreleased patches in a quilt series in the stable-queue
git tree.  Is that not sufficient?  If not, why?

josh