[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable-kernel git management?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jun 20 12:33:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd like to join this year's kernel summit.  I can bring expertise
from the sound subsystem maintenance and raise issues learned from the
Linux laptop / desktop preload experiences.

Like many people have already commented on stable kernel process, I'm
also interested in it.  Especially whether it makes sense to allow
maintainers to send pull requests to Greg and others.

Currently, we receive patch bombs from Greg when patches are queued or
in the review phase before the stable release.  But it's hard to
follow whether all necessary patches are merged only from these
individual patch mails.  I often loose some overview.

After all, it's the subsystem maintainer who knows well about the
commits they did, what should be applied to which kernel and how.
I'm willing to do the backport or merge to the stable kernel for my
own commits at the same time I commit to the for-linus branch, then
give Greg to pull.

This also helps in some cases where the patch is not trivial to
backport.  So far, I prepare an extra patch and send to stable after
merge to Linus tree, but I forget often due to this delay.

Or, at least, if we can have the expanded to-be-released-as-stable
git tree, it'd help the review for me...

Takashi