[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 11:43:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> > Agreed, and I am of course not asking anybody to decide for distros; just
> > trying to make the decision process easier for them.
> >
> > Even such a minimal categorization of bugs such as
> >
> > - support for new HW (so that we can drop those immediately, even
> >  automatically, in certain development phases)
> > - performance improvement
> > - crash fix
> > - security fix
> > - platform/hw-specific fix
>
> Do we want to include in this conversation this "kABI" thing that is
> paramount to some distros? For those who are unfamiliar with this - it
> is a checksum of a function's argument structure - and it allows a
> thirdy-party driver to load their driver for the whole release cycle of
> kernel. If the arguments change, or the structure changes in subtle
> ways, the holy hand of kABI is raised and work-arounds have to be
> provided.

Even though this is a major problem we, as an enterprise distribution, are
facing very often, I don't think this is anything that stable should be
dealing with. This has various reasons, but let's stick to the technical
one -- different vendors are guaranteeing different subsets of kABI to
remain unchanged, and "upstream" stable has no idea about these subsets.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs