[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk konrad at darnok.org
Wed Jun 20 10:32:25 UTC 2012

> Agreed, and I am of course not asking anybody to decide for distros; just
> trying to make the decision process easier for them.
>
> Even such a minimal categorization of bugs such as
>
> - support for new HW (so that we can drop those immediately, even
>  automatically, in certain development phases)
> - performance improvement
> - crash fix
> - security fix
> - platform/hw-specific fix

Do we want to include in this conversation this "kABI" thing that is
paramount to some distros? For those who are unfamiliar with this - it
is a checksum of a function's argument structure - and it allows a
thirdy-party driver to load their driver for the whole release cycle
of kernel. If the arguments change, or the structure changes in subtle
ways, the holy hand of kABI is raised and work-arounds have to be
provided.