[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] State of Kernel.org - Kernel Summit

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Jun 20 08:14:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 23:12:21 -0700 Randy Dunlap <rdunlap at infradead.org> wrote:

> On 06/15/2012 02:22 PM, John 'Warthog9' Hawley wrote:
>
> > Afternoon,
> >
> > I believe it would make sense to have a quick overview of where we are
> > at with Kernel.org, and to provide a mechanism to get direct feedback.
> > This has seemed helpful the last couple of years (last year in
> > particular), and since there's already talk of various infrastructure
> > related pieces, it might make sense to have someone from kernel.org
> > around to speak on behalf of the infrastructure.
>

> You can always provide a quick overview of where we are on the
> kernel.org mailing list or LKML.  You can also get feedback on
> those mailing lists.  And you can potentially get feedback from
> more than the 80-100 people who are attending the kernel summit.

Do the set of people who should read this, actually read everything on lkml?
I know I don't.
I expect Jon would pick it up and put a link on lwn.net so I'd still get to
see it.

I feel that a lot of the topics mentioned in ATTEND requests could benefit
from a larger audience and could make use of a widely read electronic forum.
And I don't think lkml is the right forum because to many people don't miss
most of it.

Maybe there is a need for a moderated forum for wide discussion of the topics
that are proposed for the KS.  Only those topics that don't get resolved in
the forum (which might be an email list, or might be lwn.net or might be a
regular web forum, or might be all 3 linked together) would be given time at
the KS.

Maybe we could start by requiring a detailed problem statement be posted to
this list?

Just a thought.

NeilBrown