[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 22:51:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 01:03:41PM -0500, Jason Wessel wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 12:51 PM, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Are there any embedded distros with substantial kernel teams outside of
> > device manufacturers?  The only folks I can think of are Android...

> What exactly are you considering and embedded distribution these days?

> I would certainly like to think that Wind River is contributing with
> in Android, embedded Linux (into kernel.org), kernel.org -stable
> maintenance, as well as adding kernel build, regression and BSP
> infrastructure in the Yocto Project.  Perhaps Wind River is the
> exception the rule?

I was specifically thinking of kernel work and like I said to Greg I'd
not been registered much of the sort of work I'd associate with the sort
of humdrum things a distro needs to care about - bug reports, driver
fixes, perhaps reference board support and so on.

I didn't mean to suggest there was nothing happening - obviously there's
stuff like kgdb and tipc - but that's feature work which is a bit
different to the pattern I'd expect to see from a distro.  I hadn't
registered the -stable work you guys do, sorry about that - that is much
more distro type stuff.