[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Jun 19 21:59:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 22:03 +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>
>> Fedora and probably most other major distributions are shipping qemu
>> binaries for a variety of target architectures which are ARM, cris, m68k,
>> MIPS (big and little endian, 32-bit and 64-bit), SH4 (big and little
>> endian), i386 and x86-64.  So the binaries are not the problem.
>>
>> Setting up the necessary root file systems,
>
> When I said binaries, I was actually thinking about the root filesystems
> and not the qemu executable.
>
>>  shell scripts to launch
>> qemu instances, run tests in those qemu instances, which kernel
>> configuration to use with which qemu config options, target platform
>> and architecture specific nastyness and more are the real time wasters.
>
> This is something that I'm sure I can make a ktest config file handle.
>

>> I know of many developers using qemu for testing but I think nobody has
>> come up with a decent, userfriendly infrastructure for testing or
>> possibly even doing things such as an automated cross-architecture
>> bisect.
>
> Again, that may be something I could make ktest handle. I just need the
> proper root filesystem setup for it.

Similar to debootstrap on Debian, you can download and install a
Fedora root in a directory with:
 $  yum --releasever=18 --nogpgcheck --installroot
/home/kay/fedora-root install yum passwd vim-minimal rootfiles systemd

It's not necessarily pretty, or optimized for efficiency or sensible
dependencies. Depending on what you want to do, it needs some initial
files set up manually, but it should be close to a rootfs. It usually
all works fine for me.

Kay