[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at sisk.pl
Tue Jun 19 21:17:13 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 15:37 -0500, linux at roeck-us.net wrote:
>
> > That would effectively delay new development by a full release cycle.
> > I don't think that would be a good idea.
>
> OK not a full release cycle, but perhaps a couple of weeks. Like Tony
> suggested, you need to have your stuff in linux-next by -rc5 if you want
> it in the next merge window.

So, there always will be patches sent after -rc5 and before the next merge
window closes.  We are supposed to sit on them till the end of the merge
window, which is about fine to me.

It makes sense to create a patches-that-came-too-late branch in your tree and
put those things in there, so that they can be moved to the linux-next branch
when the merge window closes.  I'm not sure what the advantages of having a
central repository of such things would be, though.

Thanks,
Rafael