[Ksummit-2012-discuss] PCI breakout session

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Jun 19 21:01:48 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 19 June 2012, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Most definitely. There has already been some work in that direction,
> for example the ability to handle remapped windows is now in the core,
> and the device-node handling is generic as well.
>
> We will probably always need some kind of architecture specific "add-on"
> though for crazy things like EEH :-)

Yes, agreed. I don't think there is any way we can force the powerpc
implementation into a generic abstraction layer without any add-ons ;-)

What I was thinking is that we could have a struct pci_domain or similar
that contains the most common members of the current arch-specific
structures and then we embed that structure into the architecture
specific one. We can then have generic functions that operate just
on the inner structure and use container_of() in the arch code to
do the things that no other architecture needs.

	Arnd