[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] writeback and kernel testing

Jason Wessel jason.wessel at windriver.com
Tue Jun 19 20:55:14 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 03:38 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 07:07:25 -0700, Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 08:44:18PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
>>
>> I would love to be able to expand that to runtime tests, specifically for
>> hardware monitoring functionality, but that is a bit more than I can afford
>> and/or maintain on my own.
>
> Actually, this should be doable *without* any special hardware or
> setup.  QEMU has models for all the major architectures.  It would be
> useful to have a tool in the kernel tree that builds and boots a set
> of kernel configs on QEMU, assuming that the user has the relevant
> cross compilers installed and that there is are a set of rootfs images
> to use for each architecture.
>
> If done right, a maintainer (or submitter) can fire off a command to
> sanity-test their kernel tree before pushing it out to linux-next.
> I've been thinking about this for a while now, but haven't had the
> time to hack on it.

Not that ktest.pl needs more plugs, but it might be something we could
use for this.  For any of the pieces that I submit to the kernel they
are all run time boot tested with kvm or qemu with pre-canned very
small rootfs's that were built 3 years ago.  I have a set of
defconfigs and test scripts which return a 1 or a 0 if things work or
not.

It is particularly useful to have the ability for runtime tests that
produce a 1 or 0 in that you can feed it to "git bisect run" after
setting the initial good and bad (ktest.pl does something similar but
requires a some setup).  Ultimately I was thinking more along the
lines of a make target where you can do "make runtime-tests
TARGET=qemu" where you have all the plumbing you need to run some tests.

In terms of providing a root file system it could be done in a similar
manner to the "firmware git" so we don't have to bloat the kernel
tree.

I think we all probably have some automation pieces that do the same
thing and I am not saying mine is any better than the next guys, but
if there is some interest in unification I am certainly willing to
participate.

Cheers,
Jason.