[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] Process issues, device model, stable

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 18:23:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:12:01PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Ideally, development should go into the linux-devel, and anything that
> goes into linux-next from linux-devel should wait a full release cycle
> before going to Linus's tree.

That's a six month turnaround time on getting things into mainline -
that seems way too long for embedded stuff, we're talking 12 month
product lifecycles here...  We possibly want to do things differently
for core kernel and driver stuff, but the frameworks do have different
stability requirements here.