[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] structuring of tools et.al and linux-devel.git repo

Joe Perches joe at perches.com
Tue Jun 19 18:04:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 13:19 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> 2) Creating a linux-devel.git repo
>
> Some of the discussion so far has been about code getting into Linus's
> tree without going through linux-next. Or changing between the two. I
> would like to suggest adding a linux-devel.git repo that would let
> anyone that requests to add their development code to this repo. It may
> even spot duplicate work that is going on, or a place to house competing
> projects where it will be easier to do comparisons.

I'm not sure there's really a need for another
aggregate tree prior to Linus' that is unchangeable.

-next is today effectively -devel.

I think the concept that there are multiple
invariant master trees that cannot stand reverts
is flawed.  Reverts aren't _that_ painful and
contain useful history showing what works and
what doesn't.